1) Relevant. As with students, teachers’ professional learning needs are rarely one-size-fits-all. It has to be personalized.
2) Interactive. Teachers want to apply learning through demonstrations or practice.
3) Delivered by someone who understands their experience. “Anything that a fellow teacher who is still in the classroom [presents] beats out everything else,” one educator said.
4) Sustained over time .“PD needs to be something that you keep working on for a semester or a year,” explained a teacher.
5) Treats teachers like professionals. As one teacher told us, “PD should treat us as adults, rather than children."